Luke 13:18, “What is the Kingdom of God like to? It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his garden. It grew and became a tree and the birds of the air perched in its branches. Again what shall I compare the Kingdom of God to? It is like yeast that a woman took and mixed it into a large amount of flour until it worked all through the dough.
Kingdom of God spreads in myriad ways yielding results at different times. The verse talks about two ways – “musturd seed way” and “yeast way”. Both work differently and both are equally significant to spread the Kingdom.
Musturd seed way
- Small size- Indicates that the significance of your work is not judged by the way it appears on the surface. Any amount of work done to spread the Kingdom has a great value in the sight of the Lord.
- The man planted the seed in his garden – Tells us to work within the parameters of our gifts and talents without comparing them with others. Identify what you are good at? Ascertain what your limitations are. Make a plan and work diligently with whatever little or great you have. You will be blessed for your sincere efforts.
- Grew in time – Kingdom of God takes time to grow which calls for patience on the part of those who work diligently for the Lord. Don’t get impatient or frustrated if you don’t see any fruits for a long time. Eventually you will see a great harvest.
- Birds of the air perched in its branches – Kingdom work is for the benefit of others. Keep working for you may not know how your work will turn into a great blessing to many.
- Active in nature – Do you feel strong desire to work for the Lord? Are you ready to move forward for the sake of the kingdom? It’s a good sign. Don’t let your spiritual fervour ever leave you, for this is the only ingredient that will bring a great harvest to the Glory of the Lord.
- Mixed it into a large amount of flour – No amount of knowledge of the word of God is going to bring forth fruit unless it is mixed with the fire and passion to work for God’s Kingdom. Mix your passion with your knowledge of the word of God to see great results. Spending time in the presence of the Lord is the only way to turn a tiny spark into great fire. Fire that is not satisfied unless it has done what it has been sent forth to do.
- Yeast worked through the dough quickly – If you don’t give up, you will see results in no time.
God uses different ways to spread his Kingdom based on our willingness, knowledge of his word and faith. Don’t judge the significance of your work by what you have. Be a diligent worker and move forward with whatever you have for nothing you do for the Lord ever go useless! 1 Cor. 15:58